WFHH - A History
WFHH-AM 850 Clearwater – Edward A. Haley, owner of Clearwater’s Fort Harrison Hotel, took ownership of the city’s 500-watt WGHB-AM from George H. Bowles in mid 1926 and relocated it from the Fenway Hotel to the Clearwater Community House.
The following January, WGHB moved to 850 kHz and Haley changed its calls to WFHH (for Fort Harrison Hotel). That June, it was acquired by the Clearwater Chamber of Commerce and moved to 820 kHz.
The St. Petersburg City Commission approved a contract for its Chamber of Commerce to buy half interest in WFHH in July 1927 with its half carrying the call letters WSUN (Why Stay Up North). A month later, the Clearwater Chamber of Commerce, owner of the WFHH half, secured the calls WFLA (West FLoridA), which up to that time, had been used by a Boca Raton (Florida) station.
On November 1, 1927, WFLA moved to 590 kHz with a power of 750 watts and WSUN made its inaugural broadcast. Ownership was now officially divided between the Chambers of Commerce of Clearwater and St. Petersburg, with each station operating three nights per week and alternate Sundays.
(For more history of WFLA and WSUN, please check their respective history pages.)
1927 - 1927 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)