WGNB AM & FM - A History
WGNB-AM 1520 Indian Rocks Beach & WGNB-FM 101.5 St. Petersburg – WGNB-FM (Good News Broadcaster) signed on first in 1961, followed in 1963 by its sister AM, WGNP. Both were owned by the World Christian Radio Foundation Inc. (C.W. Caldwell, president/GM), operator of Keswick Christian School at 10101 54th Avenue North in Seminole where the stations’ offices and studios were located. Their formats were a simulcast of light classical and classical music with religious and educational programming.
WGNB-FM’s power was 75,000 watts; however it would eventually be boosted to 100,000 watts. The AM was stuck as a one-kilowatt daytimer because it operated on clear channel frequency 1520 kHz and had to protect other stations.
In 1968, the stations’ licensee name became Southern Keswick Inc. C.W. Caldwell continued as its president and GM. WGNB-FM became Keswick Radio WKES in 1974, and WGNP-AM modified its calls and became WGNB-AM the following year.
Both the AM & FM were acquired by the Moody Bible Institute of Chicago in 1977. WGNB-AM became WXYB in 1989.
Other names from WGNB history include Rob Whitehurst (board operator 1973-74) and Manley St. Jean (chief engineer).
(Contact us if you have additional information to share about WGNB AM/FM.)
1961 - 1989 Other Tampa Bay Area Stations (History)