WXEZ - A History
WXEZ-AM 1530 Babson Park – WXEZ (The Voice of Webber College) was a radio station in Babson Park in southeast Polk County licensed to the college that’s now known as Webber International University. The 500-watt daytimer signed on the air in 1984 for the purpose of providing a training ground for students who were interested in communications. Its studios and tower site were located on the college campus, overlooking Crooked Lake on North Scenic Highway in Babson Park.
The WXEZ studios, housed in a wing of the college, were also a radio museum with numerous, almost priceless antique radio receivers, tubes and parts on display, many dating back to the early 1920's.
The station billed itself as “Nostalgia Radio” and programmed a diversified format, which included old music and a variety of features from the early days of radio. It was also affiliated with the Classic Radio Network, which provided old-time radio shows like “Amos ‘n’ Andy” and “Dr. Kildare.”
In 1988, the college changed WXEZ’s call letters to WCZE.
Names from WXEZ history include G.W. Cleven (president of Webber College-1984), Roy J. Johnston (GM-1984), Al Ratty (PD/mornings-1984), and Norman Brownell (chief engineer-1984).
(Please contact us if you have additional information to share about WXEZ.)
1984 - 1988 Other Polk County Stations (History)